Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Did my Daughter Have for Dinner Last Night?


Years back, my daughter’s mother had to work late, so she asked me to relieve the baby sitter, put our daughter to bed, and wait until she got home from work.  When I arrived, my 5-year-old daughter had a sassy, sarcastic, yet lovable attitude.  (I have noticed more of this personality blossoming over the last few weeks.)  I started getting her ready for bed when she asked, “Dad, can I watch ‘Raven?’” “Who?” I said. “That’s So Raven. Mommy let’s me watch it.” I thought to myself, “In mom’s house, it is mom’s rules.” I asked “Are you sure Mom lets you?”  She said, “Yeah, can I please?”  “Okay,” I said. “But just for a little while because you need to take a bath.”  As we watched the show, I could not help thinking about the cooks in the kitchen as they came up with this dish to serve. 

Let me try to flashback to when this dish was cooked up. In this case, the chefs decided they needed a new dish on the children’s menu.  Now, if the chef or the writer is really creative, he or she will share ideas about a “new” dish. But, usually, someone in the meeting will dig up some old recipe.  The executive will think, “The old recipe worked on some level before, especially on the financial level.” Then they will turn to the writer to add a different spin or twist to the old recipe.  This is usually the point where the “likes” will start to chime into the kitchen. “What about something like this?” “What about something like that?” Maybe the main character could be like a teenage girl that is like sassy, sarcastic, yet lovable.  Soon, they will settle and decide what the flavor of the main ingredient will be.  The staff gets to work preparing, seasoning, and cooking, while the director cooks it up. The editor arranges it on a plate and makes it look appetizing.  Eventually, the owners will give it a taste and comment on what they think should be changed. A few more spices are added, and then the dish goes on the menu.  And before you know, your kid will be on a regular diet of sass, sarcasm, and lovable attitudes.  Your daughter will speak, and you might ask yourself, “Is that my daughter acting so sassy, sarcastic, and lovable?”  And the answer to your question is: “That is not my daughter… That’s So Raven.”

          So, anyway, I watched the rest of the show with my daughter and could hear the dialogue both her and Raven shared over the last few weeks.  I then gave her a bath, read to her, told her a few of my own stories, and put her to bed.  As I waited for her mother to come home, I thought to myself of a time when I saw the same kind of thing happen but to adults.   What I’m talking about is when people sound like a TV show they watch regularly, whether it is in their vocabulary, phrasing, delivery, mannerisms, or tone of voice. In mid to late nineties, the show Seinfeld was very popular.  I cannot tell you how many times or how many people I talked with that made me feel like I was talking to someone on that TV show.  Years later, I would talk to women and could see which character in Sex and the City they admired and related to most.  They sounded just like if I had turned on the TV.  Sure, at times, it was entertaining, but that was the intention of the show. We seem to be putting too much pressure on ourselves to always be entertaining and full of drama.  Sometimes, it was disappointing knowing we are created so unique and different, but so many of us are sounding the same and may not even realize our individual blessings.
         

Later that evening, my daughter’s mother came home, and I asked her, “I’m told its okay for her to watch That’s So Raven. Is this true?"  “Yeah,” she said. “I started letting her watch it a few weeks ago. You just have to parent it.”  I did not care to venture and ask what the phrase “parent it” meant, but it felt like I was talking to the TV again.

No comments:

Post a Comment