Wednesday, April 4, 2012

With COMPUTERS - Power Tools


I was over at my friend’s apartment the other day. I have known her for years, and she is always open to sharing her struggles with me.  Her latest was in regard to her boyfriend, who is in the Marines and overseas at war.  She loves him dearly, and they both are planning to have a future together. She struggles with being apart from him and the mental adjustment that needs to be made in the few moments here and there when she sees him. In addition to this, she has often expressed her feelings of not being able to sleep. She told me that the being on her computer sometimes makes her lack of sleep situation even worse.  She also confessed that she has a hard time leaving the apartment and being social.  After we went deeper into our conversation, we changed the subject, and she asked me if I would help her hang a painting on the wall.  As I got started, I reached for the hammer that sat beside her laptop computer. I thought, “What is the difference between these two?  And how has it affected my friend?”  Both the hammer and the computer are tools.  Here my friend has used the computer to meet and communicate with the one she loves and wants to build a future with. Yet, this same this computer has also separated her from society as well made it harder to sleep.  Now what about the hammer?  I can use one end of a hammer to build a house and the other end to pull one apart. Is there a difference between these two tools or any other tool for that matter?  All tools have one thing in common – they have no power. We are the ones who hold the power. We hold the tools.
         

The more respect and understanding we have for any tool, whether a hammer or a computer, the better we will know how and when to use it. Today, we have been given this tool (the computer), and we can use it to either bring us together or pull us apart. As for me, I do my best to use this tool wisely so I can write this book and hopefully build us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment