Wednesday, April 4, 2012

With POPULARITY - Model Moments


When I have worked with and around some  “famous people,” a lot of coworkers or fans would say to me, “Do you know who that was or who that is?” I must admit that, a lot of times, I had no clue “who the famous people were. If it were not for these people helping me to know the “who’s, who,” I still would not know.  But after meeting these “celebrities,” I was always asked all kinds of questions, only a few of which I could actually answer. Most meetings were short, yet some were very meaningful.
         
I always liked the rare question I did receive: “Do you think this or that ‘celebrity’ is happy?”  I often wondered if the questions about famous people’s happiness stemmed from compassion and concern. Or are people asking out of curiosity of their own image and possessions and if it equates to who they really are? On the surface, many people feel that “celebrities” have it all. But where does this perception come from?  Does it come from money, power, possessions, looks, or “overall images?” What does this “overall image” (which seems to hold true with many of these figures) look like?

          One’s visual image might draw people to a person; therefore, this person (at least on a visual level) will have fewer chances to be alone.  Perhaps this is why so many wish to be celebrities, whether they admit it or not. They are just trying to decrease their chances of being alone. This is a part of our human nature.  People have a hard time balancing and understanding this natural fact.  Many will go to any cost not to be at one with themselves. As a result, they suffer, causing discomfort for themselves. And it can also be contagious, infecting others in an infinite number of ways.
          So there is also the question of whether these highly visible people are models in some way? To me, there are many role models, and many people in positions to be such models, but they just do not want to face or accept the responsibility.  On the other hand, sometimes there are those who want to be models, but they have yet to acquire the tools, strength, or morality to do so.
          Either way, somewhere in our spirit, we all possess the power to get others to look our way, and the role we are playing when they look is where the power lies.  Whether these moments come for five minutes, every five years, or five minutes every hour, the amount of time can hold an equal amount of power.  The tough part is never being certain when we are “on.” In all actuality, we are always “on” in someone’s eyes, though first and for most our own.  If happiness is the model at these moments, then we hold the power to spread love, which is the cure for fear. 
          The other reason people want to be celebrities or be in the public eye is power.   Power is one of the big thrills in life, but it should be the power of making a contribution to the universe. It is a choice as to what kind of contribution we make, negative or positive. A drug pusher or a preacher can share equal levels of power.
 ...
This battle of “the choice” can be seen on the simplest level.  When I used to work late nights in a restaurant and the hostess left, I worked the door. I would ask people if they would like to sit at the bar or at a table.  I would think about this question and ask myself to make this choice. When deciding, I think, “Would I like to look at a bunch of bottles, or would I like to look at a bunch of people?”  Shall I face humanity and look inside to find the positive? Or should I look at a liquid creation that so often washes it away?  My answer: I think I will take a shot at humanity. With people, there is more opportunity for a positive change of motivation. Those bottles and what is in them has never seemed to change.  So at this moment, I will take a table and make it one that faces the front door so I can see every one of today’s models.

No comments:

Post a Comment