Wednesday, April 4, 2012

With HIP HOP - Getting “Props” to Power


My oldest brother, Rob, claims that he was the first white boy to hear a rap song.  It was in the town next to mine, a few miles away.  As the story goes, my brother was dating a girl who was in the recording studio when the famous “Rappers Delight” by Sugar Hill Gang was first recorded some time later my brother, Rob, came home with the 12-inch record with the large, colorful script with the written words, “Sugar Hill Gang” on it.  So to me, being a candy loving kid, I was willing to give anything that had the word “sugar” on it a try, even if it was music. I was not allowed to go on my brother’s side of the room, let alone touch his “HI-FI” (record player). But the day came when he was gone. I crossed the line and queued up and heard it: “I said a hip hop the hippie the hippie to the hip hip hop, a you don’t stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.  Now what you hear is not a test I’m rappin’ to the beat…”  (Those of you who know the rest can put down the book and rap as far as you can.) 
         
I had no idea what I was listening to, let alone the power this form of artistic expression would have on our future as well as my own. A few years past and my friends and I devoured every ounce of this art form.  We could not get enough in the few hours we got on the radio each Saturday night, beat-boxing, break-dancing, rhyming in the hall each moment between classes.  As I look back and think back in reference to the idea of a seed, an ounce, and a pound, I now realize that, in this time period, the seeds of freedom for hip-hop were growing.  It was becoming free for these artists to express themselves for the ethnicity and culture of people who carried this art form forward from African tribal praise to slavery past the Civil Rights movement into our future. It was also for all or any who wished to feel the rhythm of this movement.

As I fast forward about ten years, I was in Hollywood, California, working as an intern for a national TV station.  I was working for a show called “Pump It Up”, the first national (non-cable) televised rap video show.  The only time slot the show was aired was anywhere from 1:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. every Saturday night, as it often faced opposition from jaded (racist) programmers.  But on my down time, I had access to a library of any rap video ever made (at the time, they all fit into a 5-foot x 10-foot room).  This was where I started to see the ounce part of my equation in relation to the power hip-hop was starting to possess, as it moved from my hometown to the west coast and soon the whole nation.

Fast-forwarding five years, I was back on the east coast in New York City, where I was a cameraman and contributor for another rap video show that featured new and up-and-coming talent.  We would go from borough to borough interviewing those who were “up next” in the hip-hop arena. One day, I got a call from a producer giving me the address of our next shoot.  I arrived, and we started shooting. Soon, all the neighborhood kids gathered around waiting to see the interview. This “new talent” talked while puffing from his blunt, speaking freely, and cursing about.  I wasn’t impressed by the interview until we asked him if he would rap. WOW!!!  He flowed so well that it made me feel that rap can have the power to sand all the edges of the English language.  After the shoot, I packed my bag and watched more kids run up to this “new” natural talent.  I do not think I was alone in my feeling that this guy was going to be notoriously “BIG.”

In the years ahead, I continued to travel from homes to streets to recording studios to clubs to performance halls and even over seas following the past and present of hip-hop.  I was traveling with my brother, John, who was working on a hip-hop documentary.  As I go back to the idea of a seed, an ounce, and a pound, I believe that these times signified when rap/hip-hop really got its ounce of power.

I will fast-forward about ten years to when rap and hip-hop got its freedom, its props, and had power.  But now it faced the choice as to how it will be responsible.  A few years ago, I remember the many days I walked through the Harlem blocks of my neighborhood and seeing the affects of this musical and cultural movement. Within a matter of minutes, I stepped down 20 steps to ride the “A” train, shot downtown, stepped up 200 steps, where I was in my place of work directing a camera during Pro-basketball games. I stood face to face with some of the most powerful hip-hop musicians and leaders of this movement.  Some were in the spotlight, and others made all the moves behind the scenes.  After seeing some of the affects of this music movement, often I just felt like shaking them and saying “Please, please be more responsible.”  But, I held back and first asked myself what “being responsible” really means.  It is so hard to say because, as times change, so do our understandings of “responsibility.”

This is when we should look at the numbers, not of record sales or banks accounts but rather the numbers of who it affects, how many we are helping, and how many are hurting.  We should also look at the numbers of how many can barely survive. And how many are truly growing?  Maybe, if we can be honest with these numbers, we can cultivate some new seeds of freedom.  Most importantly, our youth needs to feel freedom to grow so their minds cannot only taste the fruits of our past labors of love but so they are able to grow their own unique trees to blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment