Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What is Art?


ART =
Authentic Reality Transformation

          I ask myself often, “What is the difference between “authenticity” and “reality”? Don’t they both mean ‘what is real?’  I suppose authentic is what is honest.  Reality is about the now.  The transformation process towards art starts with the honest feelings that have accumulated in our souls. Then transforming them into whatsoever comes out of us. Passion seems to be the fuel that gives an audience the feeling of honesty.  Passion is felt and not seen.  I think this is why religion has such a strong following because it is something felt, and naturally, as humans we feel. Passion is often interpreted in the same sense as one’s fire. Sure, we can look into another’s eye and think we see his or her fire, but for there to be fire, there has to be heat.  Heat can only be felt, just like passion.
          The entire groups of artists, who I have come to love and respect, have a heated passion. It is fire and desperation in their souls to reach their dreams, often at any cost.  When I have felt this fire in myself, I have found great pleasure in chasing my dreams, though there always seem to be a price to pay for every pleasure.  What is the price or the cost?  The cost often lies in my judgment of where and when to put my passion and energy.

Most great artists never run out of ideas; they just run out of time to execute these ideas.  This lack of time makes it so crucial to be open and flexible to give help and receive help when needed.  I think the goal for most artists comes down to transforming and exposing feelings.  The good ones can communicate ideas, but the great ones can communicate emotions and feelings.  I believe working with others can bring out the apex of a goal. Quoting the liner notes from George Benson’s 1975 album “Good Bad King,” he said about working with his producer at the time, “As for me, I want the freedom to express myself along with the kind discipline like Dave (the producer) can provide. I just want the room to dance on my instrument.”  I think so many artists fight the needs of others. So many feel they are the only “one” and do not realize that they are not alone.  This is true even if this need is saying or doing “nothing,” though often this “nothing” is “something” as long as “others” are in reaching distance to feel the artist is alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment